Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Assignment10_Concept Development

The Impression



 My impression of the site visited (Pier 57, Manhattan) was this grand space, with open air, and many different possibilities. The waterfront could create different sounds, and the area itself has many different viewpoints.  


Active/Alive (Specified Word)
I chose the words "Alive/Active" as my representation of the kind of design and idea I believe would fit naturally with the site. I used a speaker as the vocal point as it generates beats, sounds, and vibrations, which is represented in the heartbeats, sound levels, and conceptual signals. The background tells you what it is to be blessed to be alive and living, with the soul of life in the dead center, while the many youth are active enough to uphold this symbol.

Program
  

My programs are based on a theater, I want to show off the grand hall as a whole and in the spotlight. With different level seating represented by the Mario Vs. Donkey Kong classic retro game. Expressing the entertainment that is the theater through music and art. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jon
    Is it possible to have a photoreport and a map of the site?
    As I said on the bubble scheme: you should improve the graphic of your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input, you can view a detailed site analysis on one my previous assignments. These collages are just the general conceptual representations of what each particular collage is supposed to represent but, I believe I could definitely improve on it.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Jon. Have you given any thought to the similarities and differences between a theater and a pier? Also, why the particular video game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input, I have given thought, and I believe that the theater and the pier would go great together because of my impression collage that represents how much space there can be, and how the sound could indeed travel all around. I used the classic mario vs donkey kong retro game to represent the different levels that could be of use in the creation of my design.

      Delete
  3. Hello, Jon. The volume / space of your site and its acoustics are just two parameters. The reason I suggested that you consider a comparison between the two typologies is because through that exercise you could perhaps discover more parameters that may be worth investigating. Try considering, for example the similarities / differences between the purpose, the function and even the symbolism of theaters and ports (piers). The video game you chose is a classic one indeed and I find your decision to refer to it very interesting but I am not convinced yet by your above explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello jon i believe i might have missed something here how do you see your concept complimenting the surrounding buildings as i have seen the pictures of the area in question. i am just assuming since the area in question holds generally historical architecture you can go for the simple classic architecture, its an assumption though. secondly the justification of your bar is reasonable however in your bubble layout i would like to know how the backstage has no access to an exit.

    ReplyDelete